WHAT IS NIA?
Nia is a sensory-based movement and lifestyle practice that leads to health, wellness and sustainable fitness. It empowers people of all ages, body types and fitness abilities by connecting the body, mind, emotions and spirit.
More than a fun dance exercise class, Nia integrates awareness, creativity and opportunities for self-discovery, self-expression and self-healing in a safe and welcoming group.
Nia CLASS details
- Classes are taken barefoot to an eclectic mix of global music
- Classes draw on the chemistry of nine movement forms: Tai Chi, Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, Jazz, Modern Dance, Duncan Dance, Yoga, the Alexander Technique and the work of Moshe Feldenkrais®.
- Classes are 60 minutes
- Every class offers a unique combination of 52 moves that correspond with the main areas of the body: base, core and upper extremities.
- Classes are taught by a licensed Nia teacher.
- Less experienced movers and highly fit athletes alike can adapt Nia to meet their needs. You are invited to choose an appropriate level of intensity and/or range of motion for you.
Nia Class structure
Every Nia class has 7 Cycles.
- Cycle 1: Set the Focus and Intent – What you place your attention on during class.
- Cycle 2: Step In – Create the space to workout. Leave distractions behind.
- Cycle 3: Warm Up – Prepare your body for movement.
- Cycle 4: Get Moving – Energise the moves to reach a peak in intensity.
- Cycle 5: Cool Down – Calm, decrease intensity and re-centre.
- Cycle 6: Floorplay – Fitness on the floor.
- Cycle 7: Step Out – Transition into your next activity.
Benefits of nia
Some of the many benefits of Nia include cardiovascular health, alleviation of stress and anxiety, hormonal stability and an increase in wellbeing, leaving you feeling energised, alive, mentally clear and emotionally balanced.
To find out more check out the following websites:
Nia Australia: http://www.niaaustralia.com.au